Monday, October 5, 2009

Oh, the Wonders of Idea Maps, Outlines, and Storyboards

When writing anything from a story to a report, it is benifical to use certain programs or concepts to help with the writing of those items. For example, outlines, map ideas, and storyboards. There are several programs that could aid students with the creation of these writing and thinking tools. An outline can be created using MS Word. Or, students can organize their ideas using a map, or a web. The program Inspiration can help students create all of these concepts.

I am planning to begin teaching middle school level students English and Language Arts. A large portion of the class grade will be writing assignements. In theory, it sounds boring, but once I can nurish my students' creativity, I am hoping they will gain a lot of knowledge and have fun. To make these writing activities more interesting and easier, I will explain to the students just what exactly an outline, idea map, and story board are. They will use at least two of these concepts every time they have a major writing assignment. I want them to enjoy brainstorming by making word maps using Inspiration. I also want them to gain knowledge about how to use different aspects of MS Word by creating outlines that will help them with writing their papers.

Last week we learned about Google, and I have to say, I think that lesson will be of most use to me in the near future. As an English Ed. major, I will be doing a lot of researching and writing. Learning how to narrow down the searches and go into more depth with specific information will definately come in handy. Also, the Wave program that show the errors for each site will be of great use when giving assignments to students, especially if they have disabilities.

4 comments:

  1. Very insightful postings! I glad to hear that you found Google class was relevant to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wanting to be an english teacher its easy to see why chapter 7 was insightful for you

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to be an English teacher as well! I agree that students sometimes find writing assignments boring. That is a great idea to use storyboards to help make the assignments more entertaining. That could really help, especially for students who are more visual than others. Story boarding is something I definitley hope to incorporate in my classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like to hear that you are so passionate about making the lessons interesting for your students! This seems like a given, but it happens far too little. With all of the resources available to make brainstorming and storyboards a more exciting, I'm sure you (and your students) will have fun exploring the variations!

    ReplyDelete