Wednesday, September 2, 2009

My Best Friend in the World of Computer Software #2




Endless papers....I remember in high school and middle school having to write several papers on all sorts of subjects. From the economy in the depression to the revolution of fashion. I do not think I would have ever had them all written if I had to do them by paper and pencil. Microsoft Word was one of the best of my computer software friends...still is actually. As and English Education major, I know I will be doing a lot of writing.
Looking back at how my teachers used Word, I realize it is a program they relied on very much as well. All tests were created using Word, as well as, vocabulary sheets, class notes, letters, worksheets, tests....you name it, and they probably used Word to create it.
While reading the Chapter 9 in the textbooks, I came across an example of creatively using MS Word...a newspaper. This is a marvelous idea because while the students are learning how to use word by experimenting with font and form, they are also allowing their creativity to flow while maintaining an academic edge. The students are given a topic in which they must research. Then they take their findings and twist them into a various "newspaper articles". By doing so, the learn how to take the information they gathered and be creative about how they present it. MS Word will then aid the students with displaying their researched "articles" in a neat and logical way. It is a fantastic opportunity for students to learn not only how to navigate Word, but how to research, document the information, and then use it in a manor that best fits the assignment they are completing.
While thinking about the newspaper project, I couldn't help but recall some of the information I was taught last class about Word. To be honest, I have already changed my background color on Word from that boring blue to a soothing and sophisticated black. I have also experimented with the changing the bullet pictures. I know simple act of creativity could make an assignment with multiple steps look a bit less frightening for my future students. Also, learning the various shortcuts like adjusting the ribbon to what I want it to be and the key board shortcuts will really save me time when making tests, quizzes, and handouts in the future. I look forward to advancing my skills further.
Thanks for reading, Ariel

1 comment:

  1. Ariel,

    I agree with you about the word processor invention. As a science educator, I could not imagine doing the plethora of required tasks if I did not have a sophisticated program like the MS word processor. I suppose if we did not have this program we would have found a way to still write and create projects, but I just do not feel confident that it would have been as easy, organized, nor as nice. The fact that you are utilizing what you have learned in class will only make it easier for you to use in the future. Take care.

    ReplyDelete